Questions and Answers

What is the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)?

Where does FSCS fit in?

How can I find out if a firm is a 'member' of the FSCS?

What if I have a complaint against a firm that is still trading?

How do you decide whether you can help me?

Do I have to pay anything to have my claim considered by the FSCS?

How long will it take?

Why is there a limit to the compensation available from the FSCS?

Does compensation cover any guarantees I was given?

What happens if the firm I am claiming against was insolvent or declared in default before the FSCS took over responsibility for compensation (1 December 2001)?

The firm I dealt with is no longer trading, but the FSCS says it cannot help me. Why?


This section contains all our published collateral, from consumer guides, to policy statements and factsheets.


The Financial Conduct Authority website includes a searchable database of all firms authorised and regulated by the FCA and the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA).


The Financial Ombudsman Service is the official independent expert in settling complaints between consumers and financial businesses

Jargon Buster

  • Eligible

    qualifying for compensation under Scheme rules.
  • FCA

    The Financial Conduct Authority is the UK's regulator for the financial services industry. 

  • FOS

    Financial Ombudsman Service, for complaints or claims against firms that are still trading.
  • FSA

    Financial Services Authority, was previously the UK's regulator for the finance industry. It was replaced by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) on 1 April 2013.
  • FSMA

    Financial Services and Markets Act 2000, an Act of Parliament governing the regulation and provision of financial products, product providers and financial advisers.