British Steel Pension Scheme transfer

September 2021 one-to-one events

We are holding one-to-one sessions for those who transferred out of the BSPS.


You will be able to book appointments with the FCA, the Financial Ombudsman Service, the Financial Services Compensation Scheme and/or MoneyHelper. These will provide free, in-person and confidential help. You can find out more about what the advice process should have looked like, how to make a complaint or claim, and get answers to your pension questions.

When: 28–30 September 2021, various timeslots will be available

Where: Mercure Hotel, Phoenix Way, Llansamlet, Swansea, SA7 9EG

Find out more and book sessions

Was your pension in the old British Steel Pension Scheme?

You might be owed money if you transferred out.

You could be one of the many people due compensation after receiving unsuitable advice to transfer out of the British Steel Pension Scheme (BSPS). Hundreds of steelworkers have already complained about the advice they received.

Even if you're happy with your decision to transfer, you should consider making a claim. If you don’t, you may end up with less money in retirement than you should have done. FSCS may be able to compensate you up to £85,000.

What do I need to do?

  • Check if the firm that advised you about your British Steel pension is on the list below.
  • If the firm is on this list: read our easy-to-use guide to making a claim in English (PDF 91KB) or Welsh (PDF 556KB). When you’re ready, start your claim.
  • If the firm is not on this list: either contact us to ask or contact the Financial Ombudsman Service which has a dedicated team, webpage and email address for BSPS members.

We understand that making a claim may seem like a daunting process. Claiming with FSCS is completely free and confidential. We are here to help you each step of the way and to ensure the process is as simple as possible.

Check if your British Steel pension advice came from one of the firms below


Active Wealth (UK) Ltd FRN 631415
Bartholomew Hawkins Ltd, trading as Turris Port Wealth Management Ltd FRN 489590
Douglas Baillie Ltd & Fast Pensions Ltd FRN 187675
Estate Matters Financial Ltd, trading as Pension Matters FRN 472900
Fiducia Wealth Solutions, formerly Regen Investments Ltd FRN 646975
Hyde Financial Management Ltd, formerly Imperial Wealth Management Ltd FRN 501271
Intuitive Associates Ltd trading as Intuitive Financial Associates FRN 782809
Intuitive Financial Associates LLP FRN 516067
Mansion Park Ltd, trading as Mansion Park Scotland, David Head MPL, Michael J Alexander FRN 209313
Omega Financial Solutions FRN 624826
Pembrokeshire Mortgage Centre Ltd, trading as County Financial Consultants FRN 479220
S & M Hughes Limited t/a Crescent Financial FRN 566837
The Ntrust Group Ltd FRN 232159


Start your can claim now

Find out more about defined benefit pension transfer advice more generally.

Frequently asked questions

Should I use a claims management company or a solicitor?

You don't need to use a claims management company (CMC) or a solicitor to make a claim. If you do you will have to share any compensation you get with them. If you decide to use a CMC or a solicitor, make sure you understand the terms of your agreement with them.

Is my complaint more likely to be successful if I use a CMC or solicitor?

No, using a CMC or solicitor will not affect the outcome of your claim. FSCS will treat your claim in the exact same way as those made through CMCs and solicitors.

I'm not good with forms - what should I do?

If you’ve got a friend or family member that can help, you can nominate them as your personal representative. We’ll use them as your contact and ask them to send us your documents. Read more on our personal representatives page.