Using a personal representative

If you think that you’ve got a claim but struggle with forms, administration or using a computer, there are other options. You don’t have to use a solicitor or claims management company either.

If you’ve got a friend or family member that can help, you can nominate them as your personal representative. We’ll use them as your contact and ask them to send us your documents. They’ll receive any emails and updates we send, as well as any requests we have if we need more information or different documents about your claim.

You'll need to send us a letter confirming who you'd like us to speak to on your behalf - including their name, address, and email address. This will need to be signed and dated by you within the last 12 months.

How it works

If your personal representative starts your claim – they’ll need to first check that you’re eligible on our “check if you can claim” page.  When asked “Are you the claimant?” they’ll need to answer "No". Next, they'll be asked, “In what capacity are you making this claim?”. Here they should select “Personal representative”.

From there on, we’ll send all correspondence through them – but you’ll need to sign the documentation.

If you start the claim – early in the process, there’s the option to refer it to a personal representative to complete on your behalf. After that, your representative will receive all our correspondence, but you’ll still need to sign the documentation.

Listen to podcast #33 to hear us explain the process

Signing the documentation

How you sign your claim depends on if we have your email address. We’ve now implemented DocuSign, so if your personal representative has given us your email address, the claim summary form will be emailed to you via DocuSign and you’ll sign it digitally.

If your personal rep hasn’t given us your email address, your representative will have to download the claim summary, print it off, get you to sign it and then upload it to the claim.

By using a personal representative rather than a professional representative, such as a solicitor or claims management company you’ll get all the compensation that you’re due, and won't be charged a fee.