FSCS protection for investments
If you have an investment (or you were advised to invest) and the provider or adviser has gone out of business, you may be able to claim compensation with FSCS. Whether you already have an investment or are thinking of investing, you should check that it’s FSCS protected.
Three steps to check FSCS investment protection
Check your provider is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) or Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA).
Be aware that the particular activity (such as providing advice) that the authorised firm is carrying out for you must be regulated by the PRA or the FCA for FSCS protection to apply.
Ask your firm to confirm that the activity they are carrying out for you is a regulated activity and FSCS protected.
Know the risks before you invest
Beware of investments offering high returns. Only invest if you’re prepared, and can afford, to lose your money. These resources will help to make sure you're prepared before you invest.
What you need to know
- For FSCS to be able to protect you, the PRA or the FCA must have authorised the provider or adviser, as well as regulated the service and product it provided.
- We can pay up to £85,000 per person, per firm.
- If your claim is about bad advice which caused you to lose money, the advice must have been given to you on or after 28 August 1988.
- We can't accept any claims that are for poor investment performance - unfortunately, the nature of investments means their value can go down as well as up.
- We may be able to protect you if a provider goes out of business and there's a shortfall in the money or assets it's holding for you.
How do I make a claim?
Watch our short video to find out what to expect when you make a claim.
How long will my claim take?
See how long investment claims typically take to process.
Rules for small businesses & charities
Read our investment claim rules for small businesses, ltd companies and charities.
Mini-bonds or crowdfunding? Read our articles on investing and make an informed decision.
Our investments case study video is based on a real-life story. Please check any investment is FSCS protected.
Terms and conditions
Our investment payment terms - the legal small print around the payment of your claim.