5. Q & As for Insurance Brokers

5.1. What should I do if I think I have been mis-sold an insurance policy?

If you have a complaint against the firm you should contact us and we will consider your complaint. If you are still dissatisfied you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service. In the unlikely event that we became insolvent you can contact the FSCS.

If an insurance broker becomes insolvent, the liquidator or the FSCS will get in touch with you to explain what is happening to your policy or claim. It may be possible to transfer your policy, or otherwise ensure that your cover will continue. If not, you may be entitled to receive compensation.

The FSCS will work with the firm or its liquidator in dealing with claims. We will try to do so as quickly as possible, but both the FSCS and the liquidator are subject to certain legal requirements and, if there are a large number of policyholders, some delay is likely.

If you think you have a claim but are not contacted, or if you are worried about what is happening with your claim, please contact the FSCS.

If the FSCS can help with your claim, they will write to you to ask you to complete a detailed application form.


The Financial Conduct Authority website includes a searchable database of all firms authorised and regulated by the FCA and the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA).


The Financial Ombudsman Service is the official independent expert in settling complaints between consumers and financial businesses