Is my money protected?

We understand that you save your money to make sure you and your family have a secure future. That’s why we automatically compensate you if your credit union fails. You don’t need to do anything and it’s completely free.

Whatever you’re saving for, it’s crucial to make sure your money is protected. Check that any financial product you buy is FSCS protected so you know your money is safe.

How can I check if my provider is FSCS protected?

Search the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) register using your provider’s firm reference number (FRN) for the most accurate results. Find the FRN in your paperwork or emails, or ask your provider if you can’t find it. If the FCA search results show the firm’s status as ‘authorised’, FSCS may be able to compensate you if this firm fails.


Banks, building societies and credit unions

If the firm failed after 1 January 2017

If you hold money with a UK-authorised bank, building society or credit union that fails, we’ll automatically compensate you.

  • up to £85,000 per eligible person, per bank, building society or credit union.
  • up to £170,000 for joint accounts.

We protect certain qualifying temporary high balances up to £1 million for six months from when the amount was first deposited.

See more details and frequently asked questions on our banks and building societies protection page.

You don’t need to do anything – FSCS will compensate you automatically. 

Check how much of your money is protected by using our bank & savings protection checker.