Questions and Answers

What is the FSCS?

How can I find out if a firm is covered by the FSCS?

What if I have a complaint against a firm that is still trading?

How do you decide whether you can help me?

Do I have to pay anything to have my claim considered by the FSCS?

How long will it take?

Why are there limits to compensation?

Does compensation cover any guarantees I was given?

What happens if the firm I am claiming against was insolvent or declared in default before the FSCS took over responsibility for compensation (1 December 2001)?

The firm I dealt with is no longer trading, but the FSCS says it cannot help me. Why?

Who is eligible to make a claim to FSCS? Are businesses or charities able to claim?

Can we help?

If you have a question or can't find the information you require, please visit our Can we help? page where you'll find our handy text entry facility.

Jargon Buster

  • Authorised firm

    a company, unincorporated body, partnership or individual permitted to carry out a regulated activity by the FCA or the PRA. This term includes a mutual (unincorporated) organisation, for example a friendly society.
  • Credit union

    a financial co-operative which is owned and controlled by its members.
  • Deposits

    money placed in a bank or similar institution to earn interest or for safe-keeping.
  • Eligible

    qualifying for compensation under Scheme rules.
  • FCA

    The Financial Conduct Authority is the UK's regulator for the financial services industry.