Q&As about Investments

How do you decide whether you can help me?

What happens once I have contacted you about my complaint?

Why do I have to fill in an application form?

Do I have to pay anything to have my claim considered by the FSCS?

What should I do if I decide that I no longer wish to make a claim?

What happens when I return my completed application form?

What do you mean by financial loss?

The FSCS has added a 'Rate of Return' to the loss for which it is paying compensation. Why is this added?

What cover do I have if I have a SIPP?

How long will it take to process my claim?

How long will my claim take to process if you have not declared the firm in default?

The firm I dealt with is no longer trading, but the FSCS says it cannot help me. Why?

Are offshore investments covered?

Are investments held by nominee companies covered?

Do you cover investments made through solicitors and other professionals?

Are corporate bonds covered?

Will I be compensated for losses arising from investment performance?

Is peer-to-peer lending covered by FSCS?

Jargon Buster

  • Deposits

    money placed in a bank or similar institution to earn interest or for safe-keeping.
  • EEA

    European Economic Area.
  • Eligible

    qualifying for compensation under Scheme rules.
  • FCA

    The Financial Conduct Authority is the UK's regulator for the financial services industry. 

  • FOS

    Financial Ombudsman Service, for complaints or claims against firms that are still trading.